Sunday 26 January 2014

Day 16: Oh What a week!

Wow, I can't believe it's already been 2 weeks! Though I will probably be saying this at week 3,4,5...

Having spent a week at a small rather secluded town called Hojancha, I took a bus to enjoy life at the beach a little further North this time, called Playa Tamarindo! It's a nice place, the beach stretches for a while as is divided by rocks which is unlike a beach I have seen here yet, but it's still a great one. Unlike other places I have been this one is very tourist-y! Lots of souvenir shops with overpriced shorts and tacky gifts, and the same people pass you on the beach trying to sell you necklaces and these small plastic birds which make an awful high pitched sound! And I have been asked if I want drugs more times than I care to remember! 
Right now, I'm at Playa Grande, but more of that in my next post...


Above : Tamarindo beach 
Below: Cocktail bar in Tamarindo that made me chuckle :) 


So, on my second week I began volunteering with tropical adventures. 
I worked at the botanical gardens every morning and then spent some of the afternoon in a summer school with around 9 children.

It was fun and I feel like I have helped out as there were activities to think of and plan but it wasn't really organised, and most days I finished at 2! 
Hojancha is such a small town there isn't much to do, so by Wednesday evening I wa craving to be by the beach! 

However, I did stay with a lovely host family, a mother and son who were so friendly and welcoming, I felt so safe living with them. I think living with a family  helps you understand the way of life here a lot better than staying in a hostel would. 

Front doors were left open, neighbours and friends were always coming and going and everyone knew everyone in this town. The children walked to and from school and their homes feeling happy that they would be safe. 
It's such a different world here, everyone is relaxed and laid back, and everyone says hello to you. Might try that in london sometime.. 

Below: a dancing horse that passed by my host family house for the week, just like the horse I had seen at the Festival! 


No comments:

Post a Comment