Sunday 19 January 2014

Last night was crazy!

Ok, so having just posted a blog two days ago, I hadn't planned on writing another entry for a while but last night I went to this crazy street party in Santa Cruz and I have to write about it before I forget it! (and with my memory that is likely to happen very soon!)

So I arrived in a little town called Hojancha yesterday afternoon to meet my fellow volunteers from Tropical adventures.
I was taken straight to my host family house where I was greeted warmly by a woman and her son. They are lovely people.  The house is very home-y and comfortable, and by far better than any hostel I have stayed in. We were cooked food and then around 10 of us took around a 44 min taxi ride into Santa Cruz, North of this small town.

Turns out we were on our way to a Santa Cruz fiesta! One of the biggest in the country, and I could see why!


Above: the crowds watching the live bands 

We arrived to the sound of pink fireworks exploding in the sky, and the sound of the crowds already getting in the part mood. The streets were packed with people everywhere, even small children and some in prams who looked tired or were sprays sleeping!
We passed a big bullfighting arena and I caught a glimpse of the action, but didn't want to watch it for long, I don't think it's something I would enjoy.

Beautiful white horses were being paraded around and some were even dancing to the loud music coming from the many bars that were blasting spanish songs from their giant speakers!
As the end of the night neared, I dared to try some of the street food on offer and I wasn't disappointed. I tried a fried pastry bread full of meat and veg inside, not something I would normally choose, but I needed something to soak up the rum!

We travelled back to Hojancha in silence, everybody too tired and longing for their beds! 

After a morning coffee and a great breakfast of scrambledeggs and rice, I am already feeling better! 

Roll on this week! :) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment